Hello,

I just joined Hangar Chat a few days ago, and I see the membership is still relatively small. I think it would be a good idea to get to know one another before this site explodes with growth. I will start with a short bio of myself. Please feel free to share whatever you are comfortable with. Most all of us are pilots here, so we have some things in common.

I started flying back in 1976 at a place called Collegedale Airpark. They've changed the identifier since I was there, it is now KFGU. It used to be 3M3, if I remember correctly, I'll have to go back and look in my logbook.

I had the desire to learn to fly when I was a kid growing up in Africa, and as a Missionary Preacher's Kid, (MPK) we lived on a remote mission station called Mombera in Central Malawi, (Nyasaland back in the 60s). Every second tuesday of the month, we would be blessed with a Flying Dr service that came up from a place called Malamulo which was about 40 miles outside of Blantyre in Southern Malawi. The pilot was a World War ll Veteran and he was a seasoned aerobatic pilot as well as a Dr, and along with him he would be accompanied by a dentist, a nurse, and a student missionary. He would buzz the mission station with the Church's C-185 and then do a barrel roll as he pulled up, then he would enter the pattern. In the mean time, everyone from the surrounding neighborhood (probably 200 people at least) would race to the runway to watch him land. My sister and I would get on the two motorcycles we had, one was a Honda 90 and a Yamaha 100, and my folks would get in their car (Peugeot 403) and hurry to the dirt strip nearby. It was my responsibility to put up the windsock, and check that there were no obstructions on the runway before they would arrive. They would stay the night, and we would put on a concert for them. The following day they would takeoff, and fly to the Northern Dispensaries taking care of health and dental issues. Every once in a while, my sister and I would have the opportunity to fly in the back seat of that C-185. What a trip!

That was the highlight of my 12 year stay in Africa as I grew up. I never dreamed I'd actually become a pilot until I came back to the US and found fuel prices were very cheap, and I was able to get my private pilots license for $880. Wow, have times changed since then.

Currently I've over 15,000 hours, have flown many different aircraft, but one of my favorites was the Learjet 20 series, which next to the military T-38, had the same engines, except for the afterburners. My most recent job was flying a B-727 and next to the Lear, which was like flying a Porsche, compared to the B-727 which I would compare to driving a truck, although it is very versatile, and can even go into airstrips that even a Lear could not.

Most recently, I've started an Air Ambulance Business called Desert Sun Aviation, LLC.  I'm still busy putting it together, and am acting as a broker at the moment. I'm also into internet marketing, and am into several different ventures, the most recent one being Perpetual 20.

That's it in a nutshell, now it's your turn. I'd love to hear your story.

Take Care,

James Wright

Views: 1415

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was invited to Hangarchat this morning by the inventor of the swirl-free polisher manufactured by my company. I come from the detailing side of aviation, having worked at KSUS (Spirit Airport, Chesterfield, MO) for 8 years. Today I work in Earth City, MO as Operations Supervisor of MAC Polishing. Our polishing supplies can help aircraft detailers cut brightwork and paint polishing time in half, and save them money on compound consumption.

Ever since I was a child, I've loved airplanes and airports. I grew up right next to Weiss Airport in Fenton, MO, which sadly closed in the 90s and is now a hotel and a parking lot. I have fond memories of sneaking into the woods behind the airport (you had to go through a hole cut in the fence) and sitting a little bit back in the treeline and watching the planes take off and land. For my 10th birthday my mom bought me a ride in a 172 around St. Louis. The pilot let me take the yoke downtown, and I circled above the Arch a couple times before heading back. It was one of the best birthday presents I ever got.

Unfortunately, for my life earning a license was never in the cards. But I never lost my love for aviation. In 2002, I had the most memorable experience of my life, as I was invited to participate in Air Combat USA's Fighter Pilot for a Day in Las Vegas. After losing my first two dogfights, my instructor ("Hollywood") asked if I was afraid of hitting something. He said it's not like driving a car on a highway and that I had nothing to worry about. I let my inhibitions go and I rolled that little Marchetti all over the Nevada sky and won the remaining four fights. I have a video recording from three onboard cameras of the entire thing. Not that I would ever forget it.

When I started working at Spirit I was stoked just to be around the airport all the time. I was always hanging out in lounges with pilots and meeting famous people who were coming and going. Even though I was always dirty and sweaty and covered in polishing compound, I was like a kid in a candy store. Nowadays I spend my time in a warehouse and my office, getting our products out there and helping aircraft detailing outfits take care of all you guys (and girls).

Wanna share that video with us here?

Hello all..

We are a shirt tailoring company stitching Made 2 Measure dress shirts for tailors in Savile Row, London. Our shirt quality is accepted & appreciated there.

We have also been making pilot uniform shirts for over 2 years.

Made 2 Measure shirt is cut & stitched individually based on the pilot's body measurements. Alongwith that, they can also pick n choose other options like :

- Choice of pocket style between traditional & false flap, with or without pen slots, with buttons or velcro
- Choice of different front placket style
- Choice of adding extra inch to the length of the shirt
- Collars with removable steel collar stiffeners to keep them straight & crumple free

We believe a Made 2 Measure shirt is all about paying attention to details. One of the few is to discuss the distance between the buttons on the front placket for female pilot shirts.

You also have the option of getting your best fitting shirt replicated, exactly.

The poly cotton fabric we use for making the shirts is a perfect blend of quality, good looks and durability. It's easy to iron & has a lasting glow whiteness.

Pl write back if you're ready to make these shirts, your uniform in AiR ~~ 

What is your link?

Check the Measurement Guide under 'How to measure' tab

RSS

Advertise Here

Advertisers

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:

© 2024                                                                                                             HangarChat  |  About  |  Advertising  |   Powered by

Promote  |  Help & Support  |  Terms of Service